photo shop_zps4e91b29b.jpg  photo about_zpsab9889c9.jpg  photo contact_zpsf03ef059.jpg  photo Untitled-2_zps43e03738.jpg

Sunday 23 December 2012

Vegusto Review - Part 1 - The fake meat!

A few weeks ago Vegusto very kindly sent me some of their products to review. I'd heard so many good things about Vegusto and their fake cheese, so I was excited to sample it!

I'm not a big consumer of fake meat or fake cheese. There aren't many decent vegan friendly fake meats available in the UK, so If I have a burger it's usually a bean burger. I was delighted when I opened my Vegusto package to find three kinds of "meat" to try out; Burgers, sausages and steak! Wow!


The first "meat" I tried was the Farmhouse style sausage. I served these with a vegan cooked breakfast of scrambled tofu, mushrooms and hash browns. The perfect meal to start a busy day.

The sausages had a lovely mild smoked flavor to them. These sausages resembled meat so much that I was tempted to serve some as currywurst to my omnivorous boyfriend and see if he could tell the difference. I think I'll definitely be purchasing some of these, and definitely be making currywurst with them!!


The second "meat" I tried was the Pepper Schnitzel Steak. Having never eaten a schnitzel steak before I was very curious to try this. I can't compare what these are like to proper schnitzel steak but I enjoyed this. I had the steak fried in vegan butter in a sandwich. The crunchiness of the pepper and the fleshiness of the meat was a great combination. My cat was determined that this was real meat as he kept trying to steal it while I was eating it. He never bothers to try and steal my normal food!


The last one I tried ended up being my favorite! The mushroom & cheese burgers. I could eat these for three meals a day. These burgers have little chunks of no moo cheese in them, so when you heat them you get lovely melted bits of heaven inside the burger. I'm probably going to have to treat myself to one of these once a week from now on, I'm hooked!

Over all I was so pleased with the Vegusto meats. I'm a little bit annoyed at myself for not getting one of their roasts to try on Christmas day. They're definitely the next thing I want to try.

I'll be posting my review of Vegusto cheese in the new year, along with some yummy recipes! I'm so excited to tell you all about these! I will be gorging on them with crackers on boxing day.



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I'm not a big consumer of processed stuff either though there are many veggie meats I love. Though I do have some favorites. :)

    I will say, I love how Colleen Patrick-Goudreau worded one of her tweets about "fake" meat: "Change your adjectives! Use grain meat, nut meat, vegetarian meat, plant milk, and non-dairy butter NOT faux, fake, mock, or substitute." She has a great podcast on why and I just really enjoyed it. Since I listened to that podcast when I first went vegan it made me rethink how i worded it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look good. I have never heard of them. I do plan to post two vegan recipes a month on my blog from now on. I really enjoy sharing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, thank you so much for sharing. Is this available in the US? Looks amazing. I am excited to hear what the cheese is like. I have never tried the fake cheese, it just isn't available where I live! Vegan foods are pretty much nonexistent and vegetarian can even be tough at times! I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been tempted to try Vegusto things, especially the cheese as I've heard good things but everywhere I've seen them they are so expensive! Hoping I'll see them on offer somewhere! :)

    ReplyDelete